The adventure began with René Bannwart, who was called upon by his uncle, Gaston Ries, to assume joint management of the watchmaking workshop he had been running since 1924 in La Chaux-de-Fonds. Together they transformed it into a watch company with its own proprietary brand: CORUM.
Particularly fascinated by the word “quorum” which means “the minimum number of persons present, required to enable a meeting, to hold discussions and take valid decisions”, they simplified the spelling. Right from the time of its creation in 1955 in La Chaux-de-Fonds, CORUM displayed a determination to position itself in the forefront of the Swiss watch industry. The emblem, a key pointing skywards, is a symbol of the mystery to be fathomed, the enigma to be resolved, of new territories to be explored, and of innovation. It also alludes to the inventiveness, tenacity and bold spirit required in order to attain the total mastery of time.
In 1956 the first CORUM watches appeared on the market and the brand launched a veritable cascade of new ideas with great success. It was even recognized by its peers as one of the most creative in the industry.
CORUM year by year
• In 1958, the “Chinese Hat” watch sparked public curiosity with its bezel evoking the famous pyramid-shaped head covering worn by the people of China.
• In 1960, the first interpretation of the “Admiral’s Cup” model with a square case was developed. This was the first ever water-resistant square watch!
• In 1964, the “Coin Watch” was created around an authentic $20 Double Eagle Coin, a symbol evoking the spirit of free enterprise and a model worn by numerous U.S. Presidents and prominent civilians alike.
• In 1965 came the first appearance of large-sized watches with the “Buckingham” model, which asserted itself through its oversized proportions that were extremely innovative at the time.
• In 1966, the “Romvlvs” watch was unveiled, featuring the hour numerals engraved not on the dial, but on the bezel.
• In 1970, CORUM introduced the “Feather” watch composed of genuine bird feathers. This artistic and technical feat called for great expertise and paved the way for the brand’s use of extremely delicate materials for its dials.
• In 1976, the “Rolls-Royce” watch once again underscored the avant-garde nature of the brand, since it represented the first ever partnership of this kind with a prestigious automobile manufacturer.
• In 1980, the “Golden Bridge” with its delicately hand-engraved baguette movement revealed behind the perfectly transparent sapphire case, embodied the pinnacle of technical and horological mastery.
• In 1983, the famous Admiral’s Cup design was reinterpreted in a version with nautical pennants corresponding to the international maritime code and serving as hour-markers on a twelve-sided bezel.
• In 1986, the “Meteorite” model featured a dial cut from an authentic meteorite.
• In 1991, the “Admiral’s Cup” adventure continued with the victory of the CORUM team in the legendary sailing race after which the line is named.
• In 1992, the Admiral’s Cup “Tides” watch was launched. Fitted with an exclusive CORUM movement CO-277, it indicates vital information such as the lunar cycle and the strength of the tide, the time of the tides as well as an estimation of water levels and the strength of the currents.
• In 1997, CORUM filed a patent for a new invention showcased in the “Tabogan” watch, equipped with an ingenious mechanism allowing the watch case to be positioned upright, and thus transforming the wristwatch into a table clock.
• In 2000 the “Bubble” watch was introduced. Fitted with an 11mm thick sapphire crystal, it creates a magnifying-glass effect which becomes the model’s signature feature.
• With the “Trapèze” watch in 2001, Corum created a new style evoking subtle grace. Its shape reflected in its name and its large size lend it a truly timeless design.
• In 2005, the “Classical Vanitas” marked the world premiere of marquetrywork as applied to watch dials. The stone and marble parts were meticulously cut to fit together like a mosaic.
• In 2005, in celebration of Corum’s 50th Anniversary, the “Golden Bridge” was reinterpreted in a contemporary vein, imbuing the original 1980s model with the spirit of the 21st century.
• In 2006 heralded the renewal of the “Admiral’s Cup” model. While offering a more contemporary, boldly designed collection, CORUM nonetheless maintained its essential aesthetic characteristics: the famous twelve-sided case and the nautical pennants.
• In 2007, the legendary “Romvlvs” was reborn in an elegant and contemporary spirit, interpreting the classical codes of the brand. Its new design perpetuates the distinctive nature of its Roman numerals engraved on the bezel and is distinguished both by its double-curving case creating an elliptical effect on the bezel, and by its domed sapphire crystal. The “wave-profile” of the bezel is engraved around the entire circumference with a perfectly polished longitudinal stripe.
• In 2008, thanks to a repositioning driven by a determination to achieve consistency, along with the launch of several emblematic models, all confirming its remarkable expertise in the field of Haute Horlogerie – most notably the Admiral’s Cup Tourbillon 48 and the Romvlvs Perpetual Calendar – CORUM experienced a remarkable year.
• The year 2009 once again reveals CORUM’s apparently inexhaustible creativity. CORUM is writing a major new chapter in its history by presenting its second in-house movement. Designed, developed and assembled within its workshops, caliber CO 007. The Ti-Bridge is the first model to house this new caliber